So here is part two of my "best buys" in beauty for the fast approaching winter months. Thank you so much for the fab feedback I've had on Part One of this story (here if you missed it). It's really great to know you're finding it helpful. I had a super time testing all of these out, and as some of you have asked for I'll put the leading product in each category under the headers to help you pick out a favourite. It was incredibly hard to choose, and in some cases I've picked entirely on my own skin type - so do read the small print/rest of the text...

Masks and Treatments
favourite:  Moisture Surge Mask special mention: Clear Improvement
featured products: Bobbi Brown Instant Detox / Bobbi Brown Skin Nourish / Clinique Moisture Surge MaskNARS Luminous Mask/ Origins Clear Improvement Mask / Balance Me Radiance Face Mask / Balance Me Restore and Replenish Overnight Mask / Clarins Extra Firming Mask

Taking the time to treat my skin to at at-home facial is something I've only done for the past couple of years. I was very unwell for the best part of six months and at the end my skin had aged 8 years (according to a skin test I had) so it was a really wake up call. I've went back for a skin review recently and I'm now 11 years younger according to them, and looking at pictures I certainly look better at 32 than I did 29. I put this largely down to making space in my schedule for products like these...

A product that I didn't need to re-try as I've been using it for months is Clinique's Moisture Surge Mask. This is epic. Use like a regular over night moisturiser and wake up with refreshed, firmer skin. Only thing I would say if don't use around the eye area as it's too rich and causes bags... For the under eye area specifically I found Clinique's Extra Firming Mask superb. 

For people who are looking for a proper "glow" I'd go for none other than the NARS Luminous Mask. It didn't have such a "fixing" effect for breakouts but essentially did the work of a primer so meant I didnt need to cloak my skin in make up for a few days afterwards, which is fab because in winter I often get super clogged pores due to more foundations and primers... On that note the Bobbi Brown Instant Detox is perfect for people who do wear a lot of make up as it really, really gets into your pores and gives them a good old clean. It was also the best for pore minimising too... Should also most definitely mention Balance Me's Restore and Replenish Overnight Mask which I'd recommend after a heavy weekend if you need to look like you've been sensible and rested up, rather than knocking back shots. Hides a plentitude of sins (and good for men too).


Finally for people who really break out I'd strongly recommend Origins Clear Improvement if you need an instant fix. The charcoal granules neutralise large spots and redness pretty much straight away, and when I used it on a monster spot on the middle of my nose it reduced it immediately so I could get away with just a little concealer that day - amazing.

Serums and Oils

First note; people with oily skin can (and should) use oils. For years I had assumed that products like this weren't an option for me as I had slightly greasy skin as a teenager. However they're now pride of place in my daily routine and it's the one thing I really can't be without when I go away (hotels usually have some kind of moisturiser to make-do, but obviously nothing like this...). I have used two combined products from Kiehl's for a long time having stolen them from my boyfriend; Midnight Recovery and Eye Alert. Together they take you from looking like you got home at 4pm and woke up next to a kebab (heard on the grapevine some people do that...) to refreshed, alive and reinvigorated. So, if you are looking for a gift someone who enjoyes life a little - these two are perfect gifts.

Next up, serums. Let me tell you something about serums over using creams that was passed on to me by a doctor friend. Warning, it's gross. These days when people go in for plastic surgery/enhancements on their faces the first thing a surgeon needs to do (particularly around the mouth and eye areas) is cut under the skin and remove the build/surplus of cream that remains under the skin and causes a sagging effect. Disgusting, right?

Serums hold have that problem as our skin recognises them as a natural extension of it's own oil/moisture. In a nutshell, there is an argument to say that they are better than creams. On that note the one that repeatedly gets recommend to me is the Liz Earle Superskin Serum. I am yet to use it myself, but I can vouch that having watched friends use it over time the results are outstanding. I'll be trying it next, and will show you the results as I always do on my Instagram here.

Eye Treatments
favourite (for emergencies): Kiehls Eye Alert, and for daily use: Estee Lauder's Fill and Firm 

The skin around my eyes is without a doubt my biggest problem. The moment I haven't had enough sleep or drank enough water it shows in this area, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't get me down at times. As already mentioned for emergency treatments I use Kiehls Eye Alert, and as a daily one I use Estee Lauder's Fill and Firm duo. I was initially nervous of the "fill" word in the title as I really wanted my eyes to be flatter and less puffy - so to assure you what it does is fill the fine lines and make them disappear, and it really does!

I asked a couple of friends to try two more; Benefit's Firm It Up which had the feedback "miraculous, put it on before my commute and when I popped into the loo before work my dark circles had pretty much gone" so it's perfect for emergencies and Liz Earle's Superskin Cream... I gave the latter to an older friend who said it really did do an excellent job on quite deep lines if you have more pronounced lines maybe go for this one...

Cleansers

Now this was incredibly hard to judge. I use cleansers religiously, particularly as my skin is aging and my bedsheets are getting more expensive. Now I'm spending ridiculous amounts on linen I'm not prepared to have to wash them every time I can't be bothered to take off my make up - it just doesn't make sense. If you're anything like me I found cleansing intimidating - I had just got my head around simple make up removers and then had balms and Micellar waters thrown at me - how on earth do you choose?!

First up, a product I've used for a long time that really got me into the idea of cleansing. It's a hard working product that you only really need to use ever so often, so a bottle lasts you a long time. Meet Liz Earle's bestseller the Hot Cloth Cleanser. Whack it on pre-shower once a month for a proper deep cleanse. It tackles (removes) even the most stubborn of black heads and build ups. Their Cleansing Balm is tackles two problems in one; cleansing and moisturising. As it's made from oils (almond oil being the main one) it works to pull any dirt or toxins from the skin, and then to soften it. Seriously of everything here, this was the most impressive find. It has completely changed my perception of the brand - really do recommend. Secondly I really do need to mention Diptyque because there is a complete misinterpretation that this brand just do candles (one of which is in the above shot, and I should also say how incredible it is, find it here) and are best for scents/smells over practical beauty products. 

Finally, I'm a real fan of a foaming cleanser wash. There is something incredible refreshing about using one. If you have more sensitive skin, I'd recommend Bare Minerals Foam Cleanser as everything about it is perfect for delicate skin, down to the elderflower scent. And as a simple yet very, very good staple - don't forget about YSL Micellar Water to remove even the toughest of make up.

Separately a little hero find is Bare Minerals Blemish Remedy Gel. Use it after you've cleansed, but also before make up application, on problem areas - spots, redness and inflammations. Because it makes it disappear. Not a little bit - entirely. Completely incredible. 

Scents

I picked these three from an extensive selection (see John Lewis' entire perfume range here) for two reasons. Firstly it was utterly selfish and I'd heard good things about them, and secondly I thought it would give me an opportunity to say honestly if a fragrance is something you should invest in.

The Tom Ford Neroli Portofino is their classic, trademark scent. It's not cheap, but I love it. I once went to an event with the brand where they said "clothes dress you, perfumes define you" and I really get what they mean. This one in particular is just pure class - and I mean that in the straight forward upstairs/downstairs way. If you're looking for a subtle but distinctive scent without filling the entire room, this is for you. Or if you want to buy someone a gift that says "I think you really know your stuff, and this suits you" get this. I'm obsessed with it and wear it most days.

Next up, Acqua di Parma Colonia. When I was little I can remember my Dad taking me around John Lewis and saying "this is the one I really want." It's unisex, sharp, woody, orangey... It's really smart if that makes any sense at all. You only need one spray of it, seriously. A friend actually puts a drop in her regular moisturiser and she can still smell it all day. This is the kind of investment you'll get a comment about every time you wear it - so yeah, it's worth it.

Lastly as a slightly softer option for someone who perhaps is new to perfume, Burberry's Black is really lovely. It's a lot more feminine, despite it's dark packaging - lots of jasmines and florals going on - but without being overpowering in any way. I have got this for a friend who wants to smell good without drawing a huge amount of attention to herself - it's perfect.

Hair, Shower and Bath
favourite: Elasticiser Extreme special mention: Shower Oil 

You only need to refer to my early-day blog posts to see what a complete and utter mess my hair was in not so long ago. It was typically long, bleached and dry. Ironically I thought I looked beach-ready and fabulous. Oh how I now laugh... Lots of you (thank you) have asked me where I get my hair done and for that I single handily have Sassoon Salon to thank - most notably Abi who has taken my colour from "yellow" to "youthful" over the years. However, what has also helped is the interim treatments and quality shampoos I've picked up along the way.

It was a completely new foreign concept for me to use a treatment mask for my hair but I now swear by Philip Kingsley's Elasticiser. Pop it on dry hair pre-shower and rinse off after around 15 minutes before shampooing. My light, fluffy hair is instantly fuller and bouncier even without blow drying. As an additional boost I use a new product from Living Proof called Restore Maskafter a particularly tough period (post holiday, festival etc) as it helps bring back the colourings and stops split ends. I also now invest in their shampoos and conditioners, hereand can't rate them enough. Two years ago I just bought whatever was on offer in the supermarket, now that idea makes me shudder. Hair is so, so important.


For bath times I swear by Rituals. Their product range is brilliant, and do it exactly what they claim to. The relaxing ones relax, invigorating ones invigorate... You get my drift. I use them exactly in that fashion - a "sparky" one in the morning and a relaxing one at night... Cannot recommend enough, and they're great on skin too. Find the whole range here.

Photos for this post were taken using the Olympus Pen 7 here with the 45mm lens here both from John Lewis. The post was written in collaboration with John Lewis.
SaveSave